About me

My photo
started off as a music blog hence the name. but, it is now my any and everything blog.
Feeds RSS
Feeds RSS

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

African Music Post: Christy Essien Igbokwe - Black Ladies Are Funky Ladies

This is a golden oldies meets African music post. I came across this song when I was feeling nostalgic and listening to the Nigerian old songs I used to listen to as a kid. I had never heard this song before, initially wanted to listen to another one of her songs, "Seun Rere". 


"Seun Rere" is in yoruba and it implores kids to listen to their parents so they can have a better future. She says she is confused about the life she is living, but her parents have pointed out the good paths for her to follow. As an adult, I realise the whole parent-child relationship is more complex than that. Aside from my relationship with my parents, the press is filled with stories of bad parents and I find myself looking at this song differently.  The other song "Black Ladies Are Funky Ladies" was a pleasant surprise, I'm only aware of her Christian songs so I didn't expect this funk influenced song.  I can totally picture my parents in their bug-eyed sunglasses and afros dancing to it in a discotheque.

Seun Rere


Black Ladies Are Funky Ladies


Take Life Easy


Artist: Christy Essien Igbokwe
Song: Black Ladies Are Funky Ladies
Country: Nigeria


Bio:


Nigeria's lady of songs. She put Nigeria's name on the world music map with her evergreen Soun Rere track. She was the first female president of the performing musicians association of Nigeria. Born on the 11th November 1960, this singer and actress is the chairman and managing director of Soul Train entertainment limited.
Her honours include Nigerian lady of songs award, Africa music mother award 1984, international special achievement award Mexico 1983 world song festival award Los Angeles queen of music international award association of theatre arts practitioners Lagos 1996 outstanding achievement in female uplifting. She has also contributed enormously to nation building, peace and tolerance - which, alongside moral uprightness, remain constant themes of her songs.

0 comments: